The Building Investigator
We specialise in providing prompt, expert pre-purchase building and pest inspections to Albury, Wodonga and surrounding districts
WHAT WE DO
We provide thorough, timely, and accurate building inspections with a full inspection report conforming to Australian Standards.
For landlords and property managers, we provide building condition reports about the current condition of your property.
We offer pre-listing inspections, providing a written report of the pre-sale condition of the property before putting it on the market.
Interested in a building inspection?
Contact us to find out more
We bring a professional and effective approach to every building inspection we work on
The Building Investigator is a specialist building and building inspection company and has provided comprehensive and timely pre-purchase building reports to over 2300 prospective purchasers in the border region over the last 29 years. We cover the greater border area and will travel to most areas within 100Km of Albury/Wodonga.
The Building Investigator has Full Professional Indemnity Insurance cover as well as comprehensive Public Liability Insurance.
We are specialists in:
- – Pre-purchase building inspections
- – Condition reports
- – Pre-listing inspections
Your building inspection will be carried out by company director, Alan Streeter, a qualified building practitioner with over 43 years experience in the building industry.
Alan’s qualifications include:
- – Fully qualified and registered building practitioner (DB-U 2752).
- – Qualified trade teacher having completed Certificate 4 in Training and Assessment.
- – Qualified Non-Friable Asbestos removalist.
- – Current financial membership of The Housing Industry Association, Victoria and Tasmania branch.
- – Extensive building industry experience since completing his apprenticeship in 1977. His working life has covered just about all aspects of the building industry, from small renovations to large-scale industrial complexes.
- – In the local area Alan has been the major contractor/site manager on large-scale renovations and demolitions for the Department of Defense in North East Victoria and Southern NSW and has been building homes in Albury/Wodonga since moving to the area 29 years ago. Alan is still actively engaged in the construction of new homes in the border area.
frequently asked Questions
The purpose of the inspection is to provide advice to a prospective purchaser or other interested party regarding the condition of the structure of the property.
The inspection shall comprise visual assessment of accessible areas of the property to identify major defects to the building structure and to form an opinion regarding the general condition of the structure of the property, including a visual evaluation of the buildings within 30 metres of the main building and within the inspection properties boundaries.
Our inspection report is 4-6 pages long but is very precise in content and is not filled with generic and general information. In these days of busy lifestyles, we find that most people don’t have the time to sit and read fill-in material, they just want the facts. We tailor our reports to suit each and every home we inspect as we find all homes are different, with different features and different inspection requirements. We do not have a ‘tick the box’ report as we find these are sometimes difficult to read and this can lead to misunderstandings between the inspector and the home purchaser.
To have The Building Investigator conduct a building inspection on your behalf, you can simply ring Alan on 0417 319 399, email us or ask your real estate agent to contact us on your behalf.
If we have an e-mail address to send your report to, then most of the time building reports are sent to you within 24hours. Of course if the report is to be mailed to you via conventional methods it may take a few days longer. Alan will always ring you prior to the report being dispatched to discuss any concerns or just to fill you in on the progress of the inspection.
If your real estate agent and the current home owners are agreeable to your attendance then Alan is more than happy for you to attend and he will answer any questions you may have in regard to the property whilst on site.
We will send you an invoice outlining payment options when we send out the building report.
There may be some areas of your home that have restricted access problems and we may not be able to get into those areas. “If we can’t get to it safely or we are unable to see it, we don’t inspect it.”
Some examples of restrictions include things like:
- Floor coverings
- Wall and ceiling linings. Obviously we can’t poke holes in plaster or other linings so that we can see inside the wall. This also goes for the lifting or removal of floor coverings, we are not able to damage any areas just to be able to see into those areas.
- Heavy or bulky furniture and stored items being in the way
- Lack of subfloor access
- Access to a second storey roof
- Large quantities of heating/cooling ducting blocking access